Web design has become very popular as a ‘do it yourself’ kind of undertaking. Website templates are a way of creating your own web design without the need to engage a professional digital marketing agency. You will be able to create a professional looking website quickly.
Website templates usually come with some ‘dummy’ content inserted to mark placeholders so you can just replace with your own text. Templates can be found in many different themes and tons of colour schemes, so that you can find the template that’s right for you. Many times these templates come with related graphics and these can be customized with your own graphics. Remember you do not have the copyright to the template, so make sure you are aware of what you are allowed to do with the template.
There are a number of benefits to using a template. Templates:
- Provide a basic web page layout
- Provide a consistent look and feel throughout your site
- Come with quality graphics
- Let you customize your graphics
- Allow you to easily add content
There are also some disadvantages to using a template. Templates:
- Can make it hard to make changes to the web design changes unless you have HTML skills and a graphics program
- Have some features such as a login box included but it doesn’t include the programs needed to make these features work
- Interactive features must be integrated in the template
- The copyright to the design is not owned by you
Features quality templates offer include:
- Easy to edit
- Compatible with HTML editors
- Easy upload
- Header graphics in psd format so easy to edit
- Have both fla and swf files for flash templates
- Retain the original design no matter how much content you add
There you have it – a quick summary of the benefits of using a template along with the pitfalls. Templates offer you an option in web design that allows you to save money and build your own website.